Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Holding the course - with ups and downs

The last week since I posted has shed some very good news. My donor cells went from 2-3% to 9-10%. I should be at 40%+ right now, but this is a good start. My doctors say I can be cautiously optimistic. I'm still experiencing graft vs host problems, receiving blood and other drugs to keep me going. I'm at a point now where they need to give it 2-3 weeks before another cell check. Most of my other count (with the exception of platelets)are still going down and need booster shots for cell projection. Monday I was very close to being full blown neutropenic (very disease susceptible) and one that can land you back in the hospital.

I find an interesting emotion, trying to stay somewhat neutral at this critical stage of the game. While I'm optimistic the donor cells will continue to rise, I'm also aware they may not. Getting to excited makes for a bigger let down. However this does not change my optimism, hope and belief that things will continue in a positive way.

I'm close to half way into my stay. Eventually being able to go home will be outstanding. I miss home, my friends, and the ability to go to work and contribute. I really like my job, I find it challenging and theraputic. Now if my body will act with a greater sense of urgency and take this 21 year old cells as my own, it will all be good.

Thanks again for all your comments. They keep my strong.

Take care, Mike

5 comments:

  1. ‘Optimistic’ Noakes. You expect the best possible outcome with the most hopeful attitude. Don’t stop. The strength you showed before you left on this adventure was very contagious and still shines bright thru your blog entries. Reading them humbles me and in turn they give me strength.Thank You.
    Stay Optimistic, Stay Strong. We are all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, fear and doubt will only slow the healing process. I couldn't be more proud to call you my dad. You amaze me every day with your strength and your example. If I could cure you with pure will I would, but the grace in which you are handling this is touching many more lives than you know. You're a light for us all papa, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Joe Laurentino here not Robin. You continue to contribute in ways no one else can. You are an inspiration, keep the faith and continued success my man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike,

    OK… so we’re a bit late in signing-on to your blog, BUT I did beat Bro. Armstrong to the correct address…

    One would think a journalist would know how to spell… so I gotta confess that I sort of left the “a” outta your name – and trying to enter the blog page became a somewhat of a trial – until I happened to be wondering around in the stake directory and noticed the N section… and the up-to-now missing A in NoAkes!

    DAH!

    Home Teaching report:
    - We survived the trip to Boston & Troy ,New York. Boston was fun with the tall ships armada in port, we enjoyed the grandkids, and assisted in baptism of younger granddaughter.
    - Returned home and I headed east to SLC with the Church’s living history group. Find July’s last Church News issue… the guy in white helping present the Mormon Battalion flag in the Tabernacle should look like someone you know. Also led the parade as member of the honor guard.

    Bro. Peterson reported to the HP group on Sunday on their visit to see you. And my bride sends her regards and expects to see you back in Rocklin soon.

    OK, you can count this as your July/August home teaching visit!
    Keep on keeping on!

    Smokey & Co.
    Rocklin CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    We have been thinking about you a lot recently and just learned of your blog. (Grateful to Sharon Peterson for letting us know.) We appreciate so much your optimistic outlook. What a great example of faith and hope you are to everyone. Glad things are looking up a bit. You and Sheila are in our prayers daily.
    Bob & Kathy Jibson

    ReplyDelete