Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Survival mode - still smiling

Howdy,

4 of the last 5 days have been brutal. Each day brought decreased energy, more shakes, and continual flu like symptoms. It's like you feel you body is slowly tapering off all source of energy. You mind is still there but the body just doesn't respond. Today has been a gift. I actually got to go outside for and extended drive which was really nice. I'm hopping that today's small burst of energy is good signs of things to come. It will be between tomorrow and Friday before we find out if my new cell production has risen from the 2-3% level. They are doing a score of new blood tests given my status. Took 14 viles of blood yesterday. My critical counts haven't started to rise yet, but the good news is they aren't dropping.

Oh, I've also become a Stanford research patient. It's nice to know that Stanford is constantly trying to improve transplant processes. When something goes out of normal, they want to study to find ultimate reason and when enough data becomes available, processes can be changed. I can't help to think of all the parties before me and what they gave to make the processes today the best available. If my results could make the difference in life with just one person, it makes it all worth it.

I want to thank everyone who continues to pray and has fasted for me. The outpouring of support is truly humbling. Thanks again to my wife, who without her support this would not be possible. Through my 13 year battle with cancer, she has always been right by my side.

Take care, Mike

3 comments:

  1. Mike – So glad you were able to get up and out. It’s true; there is something about the outdoors that overrides all anxieties. The sight of the deep-blue sky, the sun on your face, the stars at night ~ all seem to calm the soul. Your inner strength and that of your family & friends will get you through this waiting game. Keep fighting, we are all behind you.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette (not Robin) said...
    Mike-It's wonderful that you're keeping this blog. We all think about you daily and share in your struggle to recover. Your positive attitude is contagious!

    ReplyDelete