Thursday, July 30, 2009

Accepting potential bad news and staying positive

Sorry it's been a week since my last post. A week ago tomorrow we received some not so good news. My cell counts were continuing to go down, and they suspected some sort of graft vs. host disease. Additional tests were run and yesterday we got the results. The donor cells I've received are having a hard time settling into the soft tissue of the bone. At this point they should seeded and be producing approx. 25% of fresh cells and they are only at 2-3%. Multiple reasons could account for this. The best being they will still eventually seed, but they are just taking their sweet time. If this is the case, it is abnormal but not undocumented and will need to be monitored almost daily. The next 2 weeks will tell if this is going to happen. The second possibility is I will need another round of new cells from my donor. A booster transplant. The third is not one I really want to go to, but there are still options. I still have cancer cells in my body that need to be fought off with the new cells. Without healthy new cells producing the small existing residual cancer can't be fought off.

We are still very optimistic for a cure, and feel through the faith and prayers of all friends and family that God will intervene and be the healing source I need. We can never give up faith and hope. Will disappointment may exists, I need to keep fear out. I'm in my Father in Heaven's hands and he will see my through this.

Without new cells my energy continues to drop each day. I'm getting blood transfusions and other enhancements to try and make up the ground. My wife continues to take excellent care of me and together we will get through this.

I will keep you updated with all new developments. Take care and keep smiling.

Your friend, Mike

4 comments:

  1. Mike, we are thinking all the positive thoughts we can for you and pray that the the next couple of weeks bring good news and move you down the road to recovery. You are among the strongest people I have ever known and I admire your ability to remain positive no matter what this disease challenges you with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the waiting period, but lots of faith and we will beat this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, Mike: Barb Offord forwarded your blog to me today. I appreciate your sharing your recent events. You sound upbeat but I would not have expected anything else from you. You are certainly in my thoughts, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on vacation, and although couldn't write you were in my thoughts.

    I can't wait to read your next blog on how your are feeling better and your energy is increasing.. :)
    Robin A

    ReplyDelete