Monday, July 13, 2009

Back to the hospital, now out, it's all good

During my Friday visit to the ITA, I started to develop the shakes and chills. I didn't go away the 4 hours I was there and the doctor sent me back to E-1 as an inpatient. In addition I was neutropenic and had to be in isolation meaning only nurses could enter my room (Sheila to) and I was not allowed to leave the room. Friday night I got real sick and from the first time since high school I actually threw up. I only mention this due to 3 years of chemo historically I never had this problem to my Oncologists surprise. Guess I broke that barrier. I got released yesterday afernoon and am back in our cossy apartment.

They say approx 75% of transplant patients end up back as an inpatient for various complications. Glad mine was only a few days. Sheila is taking excellent care of me. She is the best.

I'm trying to keep things on the lighter side as best I can. I try and make the nurses laugh so as to possible invoke a laugh out of myself. When I asked for an extra pillow and upon the nurse bringing me one I stated, "do you ever sleep with a pillow between your legs?" She laughed and said "no, does it help", for which I replied, "absolutely, ya know when your on your side and your knees knock together, just horrible, the pillow is the solution, you ought to try it". She replied, "Well I sleep on my back but if I go to my side, I will try it". She walked out of the room laughing". I did it, she laughed and I tried to play off that to make her laugh more. The simple things in life you do when your committed to a room to bring some joy.

As an ex CEO for Progressive Insurance would end his letters I will use the same line, Peace, Love, Joy.........

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mike,
    Your buddy Rob coming to.. I am glad to hear you are back at your room and improving.
    You take care of yourself.. and I totally like the laughter as well as the
    Peace, Love & Joy..

    You made me laugh with the pillow between the nurses legs.. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,
    I am glad to hear that you are back in your "little home" away from home.
    I really liked your funny story and wondered where the "pillow in between the nurses legs" was heading.. Glad you got her to smile.. I sure did!
    Take care and I totally dig your ending..
    Peace,Love, Joy.. to you also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughter truly is the best medicine sometimes! Glad your hospital stay was brief and you are back home. Sheila just has that talent to make anyplace seem cozy. Lucky guy! We love and miss you. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering I am the self-proclaimed "puking queen" during my pregnancies and chemo.... my hats off to you! You are doing great throughout all this.
    Laughter is the best medicine. I am glad you are getting your daily dose.
    Juli Queen

    ReplyDelete