Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 3 in hospital, treatment has begun

Got admitted to the hospital on Sunday afternoon. Basic stuff and they started me on steroids and liquids. Got settled in, did some reading, watched ESPN and called it a day.

Day 2, radiation treatment in the morning. Both Radiation techs took permanent black markers and drew on me from neck to thigh. Felt like the character out of Ray Bradbury's book the Illustrated Man. As for the actual radiation treatment, felt like they put a toaster in my belly and popped in 2 pieces of wheat toast. Ya know when you leave the bread in to long and the crust starts to burn, well that aroma went right up into my throat. Now if I would have put bacon in the toaster would have been much better. A little later on felt like I had a mild sunburn where they radiated me.
In the afternoon they started a chemo type drug to further eradicate any remaining cancer. 6 hour infusion and overall thought I did pretty good until the side effects started kicking in. First the heart rate when from a resting 65 to 100-120 range and just stayed there. Then the joint pain came on followed by a mild temperature. It started to get nasty when the skakes, chills, hot flashes and pain took over. This is when reality hit in that I'm really doing this. I need to do 5 rounds of the ATG (drug abbreviation) in successive days so I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow. Finally around midnight they gave me something to sleep. No way I could have without a mild induced coma. Just kidding on the coma comment but it seemed appropriate.

Day 3, woke up a few times at night but the medication allowed me to sleep until 7 am. I still don't feel well but good enough to shower, take a walk, and then at 8:30 they came and got me for more radiation. I do that for 14 straight days. My skin will be a well done ribeye stake before that is through. The ATG therapy starts this afternoon. Really not looking forward to that. Hopefully won't be as bad as my first treatment. Just need to put the towel between my teeth and say again "Cowboy Up". I've got 4 more bulls to ride and would like a nice score. Talk to ya all soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've got a sense of humor through all of this. :) It keeps me from crying for you. I can just see that ribeye on your belly sizzling away! Maybe if you request it cooked rare they will shorten radiation time. lol Hang in there, we are praying for you. Love to your both- Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete